The English formula student event in Silverstone is over. Here you get all news from the event.
On our first day we set up our pit. We prepared the car for scrutineering as much as we could. We will try our luck tomorrow to get through the electric inspection.
On our second day in silverstone we tried to get into scrutineering, however a bunch of smaller problems kept us from staying in the queue. This is very unfortunate for us since we were top of the list for scrutineering order. We worked on the car until the pits closed to resolve the issues.
Our first static will be tomorrow the design presentation at 12 o'clock followed by the cost event at 2pm. In the early evening we will go into the business presentation.
Our design presentation went well and the feedback was very valuable. Our step to a monocoque, an aero package and the easy to service accumulator system was well received and the judges liked the ideas behind our designs and design choices for many of the other components. During feedback they told us their impression of our work and how it compares to other teams. This insight will help us when we will start to plan and design the next car and season. Thanks to the FSUK judges for this good design event.
Cost event and business presentation have been completed in the afternoon as well. The feedback showed good approaches with some errors. However, the overall impression was OK and we can build on that for the coming events. The first attempted of the electrical scrutineering unfortunately failed. We are currently working on the car to fix the issues.
We tried to get through electrical scrutineering this morning. Therefore we missed acceleration and skid pad. In the evening we finally passed electrical scrutineering but missed AutoX as well.
On the last day of the event we entered the mechanical scrutineering early and marched through the tests. We weighted in at 207,5kg (one motor and gearbox assembly was taken out of the car). This means that we achieved our design goals of 220kg!!! That makes us very happy. Rain test was a success too, which means we are now the proud owner of the stickers for electrical, tech, chassis and safety!
Tilt and noise where no challenge for us and we proceeded to the last test - the brake test. Due to only one motor in the car we just did a slow run on the brake test area to film the video for FSG and decided to not attempt a real brake test with racing speeds. This concludes the successful last two days after the frustrating first days. We could solve many technical problems and became aware of a few which we have to solve in the next couple of days. There is still a lot to be done until we can show the full potential of our car. However the small victories this weekend fired up the motivation! Back at home we will be working ever so hard to get the egn15 ready for Hockenheim!
- design presentation- 105/150 points - placed 24
- cost report - 46.68/100 points - placed 43
- business plan- 38.81/75 points - placed 73